A Typical Day Onsite
1. Sign-in: At the beginning and end of each shift, volunteers
sign into an onsite record book. This helps us to know who
is working, but also how many total volunteer hours have
been contributed. Many critical housing grants require this
information. Liability Waivers, found , are required of
all volunteers once per calendar year. Blank forms are also
kept with the sign-in book.
2. Gather: After all have signed in, we gather together to talk.
a. Site Supervisors
b. Partner Family
2. Orient Workers
a. Quick overview of Habitat
b. The worksite
c. Work Breaks and facilities
3. Game-Plan a. Assign tasks for the day
b. Discuss specific safety concerns
3. Build: Teams and individuals with assigned tasks start
building! Tasks vary from day to day, but there is usually
something for every skill level. If there's something you’d
like to learn how to do, we’ll show you.
4. Break: Physical work requires periodic rest to maintain a
focus on safety and to avoid uncomfortable body strains.
A happy and healthy volunteer is a returning volunteer!
On a typical Saturday workday, drinks and food will be provided. We break at 10:00 a.m. for snacks and a short Christian devotional and lunch at noon.
5. Wrap-up: As each shift ends, workers clean up the
worksite, gather and store all tools, and secure everything
before leaving so the next crew can quickly pick up where
the prior group left off. We usually huddle one last time to
review our progress and say thank you to our many valued
Most of All FUN!
Getting Ready for Your Workday:
What to Wear:
Solid toe shoes, no sandals permitted
Layers if weather is cool
Safety Glasses, if you prefer your own
Light colors and sunscreen if sunny
What to Bring:
- Only required once per calendar year
Your Favorite Tools
- Everything you need will be provided, but
some prefer to use their own tools
Water Bottle, if you prefer your own
- Water is provided on all worksites
- Please feel free to share your
Experience with friends on social media
How to Prepare:
View Construction Safety and How-To training
Check the weather and dress accordingly
Contact the Habitat office with questions:
We look forward to working with you in providing housing solutions for our local partner families.